Sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident,…
Me-Time Christmas Chill-Out
This is a recipe for A Mindful Christmas Chill-Out away from all the wrapping and relatives. Remember you have full permission to take care of yourself, even amongst all the busyness of the season. This is a full pause away from everything without any technology or distraction. Let it be one human being, one drink and some time and space alone to simply breathe and be.
- Do whatever is needed in order to feel comfortable disconnecting from technology for the length of your break. Set a timer if it will allow you to be more relaxed.
- Prepare your favourite drink and take it to a restful spot. It could be the sofa, a favourite chair, or even upstairs in your bedroom (hiding from the in-laws!). Get really comfortable; this is not a meditation posture so curl up, pull a blanket over if you like, and relax.
- Hold the mug close and breathe. Deeply inhale.
- Let go completely and exhale. Sink into your seat. Sink into the peacefulness of this moment. Sink into the now.
- Allow yourself to land fully in the freedom of these moments dedicated to noticing what is arising within.
- Take a sip. Breathe.
- How do you feel?
- Take another sip. Breathe.
- What do you notice in your body?
- Another sip. Breathe.
- What thoughts are bubbling up in your mind?
- Let all of it be just as it is, and breathe. Deep, open, calming breaths.
- Contemplate. Be.
STOP is a pocket-practice taught on Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) courses to help you quickly regain clarity and calm before deciding how to act. So, just in case it all gets a bit much, here’s a mini-meditation to see you rock the Christmas emotional obstacle course!
- Stop and pause. Feel your feet on the floor.
- Take a deep breath and bring both palms together holding your hands in a gentle clasp. Feel the warmth and energy of your body.
- Open – widen the focus of your awareness by observing non-judgmentally what is happening internally and externally. Inhale… Exhale … Is there a new opportunity presenting itself?
- Proceed, or pause again until you are feeling calm and clear.
By Neil Seligman, Mindfulness Expert, Speaker and Author of 100 Mindfulness Meditations